Friday, September 5, 2008

Taking things for "Granite"

I am a major HGTV fan(home and garden tv) and not because I am involved in one home improvement project after the other; that's how I spent my childhood...I'll pass as an adult. I couldn't strip and stain one more antique "find" if you paid me. Okay, make me an offer! (smile) Anyway, it's my way of chilling. I love it! I can't get enough of "Design on a Dime", "House Hunters" or "My House is Worth What?" I love 'em all!

My husband, on the other hand, is to put it simply NOT INTO IT! If he walks into the room and I'm in HGTV land, I can see his eyes glaze over...usually. Well imagine my surprise when I walked in and found yours truly, Mr." Law and Order Special Victim's Unit" guy, watching "my" show. I suggested turning over to his show, and he offered that he wanted to wait and see which house they chose. Really?? Things we take for granted. Never would have expected that.

It is a common practice on HGTV to see the demolition team pulverizing the old tile counter tops with a sledge hammer in favor of the more high end, updated look of granite counter tops to add "value" and "get this house sold!" I imagine in the future people will be breaking up the granite counter tops saying "Gee whiz, why did everyone use so much granite back then...look at all of the swirls...so busy looking." One thing I won't take for granted anymore is whether or not Scott even knows the difference between granite and any other solid surface material. The real point here is that I try not to pigeon hole Scott but instead enjoy the variances from the expected. What's next I wonder? I need to watch more cooking shows!

No comments: